Thursday 23 August 2012

Projects Past: Part 5 (First foray into costuming)

Back in 2009 I made my first foray into the world of costuming and prop building. I had recently read the Republic Commando books, Hard Contact and Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss and decided to attend the scifi and pop culture convention, Armageddon, being held in Wellington wearing a suit of custom mandalorian armour from corrogated cardboard and paper mache that I had made myself. At the time I was very pleased with the result, though retrospectively I can see many things I am not happy with.

While at Armagegeddon I meet some members of the New Zealand garrison of the 501st. Many of the members in attendance were extremely supportive of me, despite the relatively low quality of my costume, and it was the friendships I struck up with them and the support they gave to me that put me on the course I am on today.

Their encouragement and support meant that over the next 6 months I pieced together a basic Jango Fett costume, for the Armageddon being held in Auckland later that year but that is for another blog post.

Here are some pictures of me in my costume and some of the 501st members in attendance.

Wearing this costume to this convention marked a large turning point in my life, setting me on the course I am now on, and I will always be grateful to those who supported me right at the begining.

No comments:

Post a Comment